1 Thes 5:12, Acts 20:28-30, 1 Tim 3:2-7, Titus 1:7-9, Heb 13:17, 1 Pet 5:1-3
God has specified that each local church be autonomous.
Each is to have its own elders, who have a very
important role in the spiritual health of the church. They are to
watch over the local church to make sure it is following the Bible.
The elders report directly to Jesus, who is the head of the church.
The Bible tells of no other organization for the church. Any
other organization is man's creation.
God has specified the qualifications for elders.
Elders are to appoint deacons to help in the church's work.
Write "T" next to the true statements and "F" next to the false ones.
Visit BibleSchoolResources.Net for more free Bible school materials.
- "Pastors", "bishops", "elders", and "overseers" are the same thing. (Philippians 1:1, Ephesians 4:11, Acts 20:17, 28)
- Preachers are pastors. (Ephesians 4:11)
- A church may have just one pastor. (Acts 14:23, Acts 20:17, Titus 1:5, Philippians 1:1)
- A bishop may oversee many churches. (Acts 14:23)
- Both men and women may be elders. (1 Timothy 3:2)
- New christians may be elders. (1 Timothy 3:6)
- Elders must be of good behavior. (1 Timothy 3:2)
- Elders must be gentle and not violent. (1 Timothy 3:3, Titus 1:7)
- The work of an elder is a good work to be desired. (1 Timothy 3:2)
- Elders oversee the activities of the church. (Acts 20:28)
- Elders are rulers who can yell at the church members. (Hebrews 13:17, 1 Timothy 3:3)
- Supervising a preacher shows one's ability to teach. (Titus 1:9)
- Elders may have as many wives as they want. (1 Tim 3:2, Titus 1:6)
- Elders must be hospitable. (1 Timothy 3:2)
- It doesn't matter if the elders decide to have a mid-week Bible study. We do not have to obey them. (Hebrews 13:17)
- An elder must have children. (Titus 1:6)
- An elder's children may be unfaithful as long as they are christians. (Titus 1:6)
- God gives elders new instructions separate from the Bible. (Gal 1:8)
- God will hold elders accountable for the spiritual well being of the church members. (Hebrews 13:17)
© 2003-2004 BibleSchoolResources.Net
This worksheet may be duplicated freely for non-commercial use only so long as the copyright statement is not removed and contents are not altered or extracted for use elsewhere.