1 Thes 5:12, Acts 20:28-30, 1 Tim 3:2-7, Titus 1:7-9, Heb 13:17, 1 Pet 5:1-3
God has specified that every local church be autonomous, having its own elders.
Elders have a very important role in the spiritual health of the church.
They are to watch over the local church to make sure it is following the Bible.
The elders report directly to Jesus, who is the head of the church.
No other church organization is found in the Bible.
Any other organization is man's creation.
God has specified the qualifications for elders.
Write "T" next to the true statements and "F" next to the false ones.
Visit BibleSchoolResources.Net for more free Bible school materials.
- Preachers are pastors. (Ephesians 4:11)
- A church may have just one elder. (Acts 14:23, Acts 20:17, Titus 1:5, Philippians 1:1)
- Both men and women may be elders. (1 Timothy 3:2)
- New christians may be elders. (1 Timothy 3:6)
- Elders must be gentle and not violent. (1 Timothy 3:3, Titus 1:7)
- The work of an elder is a good work to be desired. (1 Timothy 3:2)
- Elders oversee the activities of the church. (Acts 20:28)
- Elders are rulers who yell at members. (Heb. 13:17, 1 Tim. 3:3)
- Elders may have as many wives as they want. (1 Tim 3:2, Titus 1:6)
- Elders must be hospitable. (1 Timothy 3:2)
- It doesn't matter if the elders decide to have a mid-week Bible study. We do not have to obey them. (Hebrews 13:17)
- An elder must have children. (Titus 1:6)
© 2003-2004 BibleSchoolResources.Net
This worksheet may be duplicated freely for non-commercial use only so long as the copyright statement is not removed and contents are not altered or extracted for use elsewhere.